At Bethesda Dental Implant Center, we understand that the loss of teeth can be a difficult and emotionally trying experience. We also understand that the decision to get dentures is a big one. There are a lot of factors to consider, and it’s important to make sure you are getting the best possible attention from expert dentists.
Our Bethesda, MD team is experienced in the restoration of smiles and finds nothing more rewarding than seeing patients reclaim their confidence with the right tooth replacement option. As our passion is to ensure that every patient enjoys life-changing solutions to every dental concern, we pride ourselves on being Bethesda’s choice for dentures.
What are Dentures?
Dentures are removable sets of false teeth that are used to replace natural teeth that have been lost due to decay, injury, or disease. They are usually made from a polymer or acrylic base with porcelain false teeth attached. Dentures can be worn on the upper jaw, lower jaw, or both.
Benefits of Dentures
There are many benefits to getting dentures, including:
- Improved ability to speak and eat
- A more youthful appearance
- Increased self-esteem and confidence
Traditional dentures are just one of the two denture options we offer at our practice. This type of denture relies on the support of the gum tissue, or any remaining teeth, for stability. Traditional dentures are available in both full and partial options.
- A full denture is used when all of the teeth in either the upper or lower jaw need to be replaced.
- A partial denture is used when some of the natural teeth remain and are healthy.
While traditional dentures have been around for many years and are a tried-and-true solution for tooth loss, they do have some downsides. One of the biggest complaints about dentures is that they can also slip and slide, making it difficult to eat and speak. In addition, traditional dentures require special adhesives to keep them in place, which can be messy. Despite this, we find that many patients who dislike their dentures simply need to have them fit correctly, which is something our experts excel at. Our team can make sure your denture appliance fits perfectly to ensure maximum support and comfort.
In addition to traditional dentures, we also offer snap-in dentures. This type of denture is also known as an implant-supported denture because it relies on dental implants for support instead of adhesive and adherence to the gum tissue.
- Dental implants are titanium posts that are surgically placed into the jawbone to act as artificial tooth roots. Once the implants have healed and fused to the bone, they provide a strong and stable base for the denture.
Snap-in dentures are ideal for patients who are seeking the ultimate level of support and stability. Unlike traditional dentures, snap-in dentures do not require the use of adhesive; instead, they are equipped with special attachments that snap into place on the implants. This provides patients with a much more secure fit that is not only comfortable but also convenient.
Whether you are considering dentures for the first time or you are unhappy with your current denture appliance, our Bethesda team can help find the right solution that gets you back to enjoying your life to the fullest. Schedule a consultation today to learn more.
What are the different types of dentures?
- Traditional Dentures – Fit over your gums and adhere by using denture adhesive.
- Snap-In Denture – Removable dentures that snap into your mouth like a button. They are held into place by dental implants making your denture more secure and decreasing the chance of sliding or slipping when eating or talking.
- All-On-Four – Permanent dentures that can only be removed by your dentist. These are the strongest and most long-lasting type of denture.